[Libreoffice] IAccessible2 - Windows (from libreoffice-accessibility)

Mathias Bauer nospamformba at gmx.de
Thu Sep 29 22:41:57 PDT 2011

Am 27.09.2011 17:51, schrieb Christophe Strobbe:

> Hi Michael,
>
> At 16:41 27-9-2011, Michael Meeks wrote:
>>Hi Christophe,
>>
>>         Thanks for forwarding this.
>>
>>On Tue, 2011-09-27 at 10:50 +0200, Christophe Strobbe wrote:
>> > It appears that the code is still only available in CWSes:
>> > <http://hg.services.openoffice.org/>. Malte Timmermann's message
>> > describes in what order the code from the CWSes was meant to be
>> > integrated.
>>
>>         It is very useful for archiving & understanding on the off
>> chance that
>>IBM don't meet their commitment to do the right thing and get this into
>>Apache in a form that we can easily consume.
>>
>>         The real question is - should we spend time continuing the
>> (nice) work
>>that Malte started, when we know that IBM have this done & working
>>in-house, and have committed to release it at some stage.
>
> I apologise in advance if I sound repetitive...
>
> My understanding was that IBM donated IAccessible2 code based on an
> OpenOffice.org version that was outdated by the time of their
> donation, and that Malte Timmermann was working on integrating the
> code when Oracle decided to give OOo to the community.
> As far as I know, what IBM has done & working in-house and promised
> to release is Lotus Symphony code, i.e. with an SWT-based UI. SWT
> does not expose accessibility info through the Java Accessibility API
> but through the accessibility API of the target desktop operating
> system (at least Eclipse does that [1]).

AFAIR from discussions on the list the SWT based part of the UI is not
planned to be integrated into AOOo. But IBM planned to integrate the C++
based parts of their UI (side bars etc.).

I wouldn't expect that Symphony code will be integrated in one big bang.
Nobody not employed by can predict what IBM will do. But OTOH nobody
also shouldn't predict what they won't do. Just wait and see. As I
wrote, there are new IBM devs from the old OOo team. I doubt that none
of them would do the integration of IA11y code.

Regards,
Mathias