check : build dependency (was: Re: what exactly needs localedata_en library ?)

Matúš Kukan matus.kukan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 09:21:41 PDT 2012

On 13 April 2012 16:32, Lubos Lunak <l.lunak at suse.cz> wrote:
> On Thursday 12 of April 2012, Matúš Kukan wrote:
>> Maybe it is better to just let check target depend on build target ?
>> In general.
>
>  Do you mean making the toplevel targets depend on each other, or also in each
> module?

I mean to add into gbuild/Module.mk:
unitcheck slowcheck : build

So if you run make in sal it's for sal only.
If you run make in tail_build, first everything is built and then tested.

Note that the modules' dependencies (in the sense: first build sal then cppu)
are written in <module>/prj/build.lst and build.pl reads them.

>  If this is meant to be also for all modules, wouldn't this possibly still
> miss some problems? I.e. if e.g. sw links the i18npool library, does or does
> not sw depend on i18npool/ build target? If sw depends only on the library
> itself, then localedata_en still might not be built by the time sw unittests
> are run (in this example sw is far too late after i18npool for this to be
> realistic, but consider whatever is more realistic).

Now i18npool is not yet in tail_build so when the time comes for sw
everything is there.
When everything will be in tail_build (or Makefile.post) sw/ won't
depend on i18npool/
but with *check : build dependency all tests from all modules will be
executed after everything is built.

>  Requiring everything be built before running any checks would avoid the
> problem, but I doubt anybody would want to rebuild everything just in order
> to run checks in sal/

You can still do: cd sal/ && make check
Only sal is considered in that case, nothing before (solenv..) nor after (sw..)

>  I would expect that most of what the build target builds in each module is
> already a prerequisite for the module's checks (and it'd definitely be so in
> an ideal world where everything is tested).

Right, so it is good.

Bjoern, what do you think about attached patch ?
I left subsequentcheck untouched for now.
(Sorry to involve you here but you can best understand)

All the best,
Matus