distro-configs files, autogen.sh options, defaults etc

Caolán McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Tue Apr 24 01:57:37 PDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-04-24 at 10:31 +0200, Tomáš Chvátal wrote:
> All switches are by default on enable state and we check for the deps.
> If the damn deps are not present on the system we switch the feature
> off.

Some packages do this, and it leads to the nightmare situation that you
silently get a different result depending on what packages you happen to
install. So you have loads of stuff installed locally and you get one
result. You build it through mock with only exactly the packages
required to fulfill every component in the dependency tree and you get a
different result. If something you depend on itself pulls in a new
dependency in a point release of itself, which happens to be something
LibreOffice could use, but didn't before, then you get a completely new
configuration because say gtk decided to depend on graphite and you flip
functionality between builds, *shudder*.

Nah, just pick a default configuration and everyone gets the same one
(within reason) when they do "./autogen.sh"

C.