[Libreoffice] fdo 44516 label printing misplaced; advise asked

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Fri Jan 13 03:26:42 PST 2012

Hi Winfried,

On Fri, 2012-01-13 at 11:55 +0100, Winfried Donkers wrote:
> I am adding sheet-dimensions to the label-definitions (Labels.xcu)
> used in label wizard and business card wizard.

	Lovely :-)

> Of the 1790 definitions, there are now only 199 to be checked.
> Unfortunately, these can only be checked manually : (

	Wow - you've been working hard.

> Some labels on pinfeed sheets are discontinued, no longer available,
> no support/templates available from manufacturer (e.g. Averay letter
> Size, 4043 Shipping).
> I would like to remove these from Labels.xcu, as I cannot determine
> the sheet width with any certainty.

	Sounds fine in principle to me; if people complain then they obviously
have the sheets and can help verify / update / replace the
information :-) If we were paranoid we could add a boolean flag to hide
these and complicate the UI to allow them to be shown: but prolly better
to remove.

> Is there anyone/anything against removing these definitions?
> Another thing is new labels, that are not yet in Labels.xcu. I do not
> like to collect new label definitions and add them. Updating the
> existing list is quite enouggh for me.

	Right;

> Any volunteers? If not, I intend to open a new bug (enhancement) for
> this. It'll be an easyhack, you'll just need perseverance ; )

	Sounds like a great approach, it'd be great to link a wiki page with a
description of how to create & verify such things.

	Another thing that interests me is that parsing the configuration,
despite all Stephan's good work in configmgr to speed it up, still takes
real time and space: say 4% of our startup and a chunk of RAM. If we
look at the sizes of our config using a simple:

du -k -a | sort -n
64	./officecfg/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/WebWizard.xcu
76	./officecfg/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/UI/DrawImpressCommands.xcu
84	./officecfg/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/UI/CalcCommands.xcu
92	./officecfg/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/UI/Effects.xcu
112	./officecfg/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/UI/WriterCommands.xcu
252	./officecfg/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/UI/GenericCommands.xcu
276	./officecfg/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/Accelerators.xcu
360	./officecfg/registry/data/org/openoffice/VCL.xcu
428	./officecfg/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/TableWizard.xcu
560	./officecfg/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/Labels.xcu

	We can see that the Labels.xcu is the single largest blob of data that
we have installed ;-) and consumes 390Kb (around 20%) of our 1.8Mb of
main.xcd that we parse during startup.

 That makes me wonder whether either:

	a) we can/should split out the Labels tree until
	   it is actually needed / used with some configmgr trick
or
	b) use a different format / chunk of code for label
	   descriptions

	Longer term thoughts on that much appreciated :-) [ I can just imagine
an android device belting it's little mind out parsing all that stuff
just to get rid of it again ;-].

	Nice work !

	Thanks,

		Michael.