help with tail_build

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Wed Jul 4 05:10:10 PDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-07-04 at 08:20 -0300, Olivier Hallot wrote:
> Each time I do a git pull -r and then make, then tail_build seems to
> build from scratch and takes hours to finish, making my work a PITA.

	Noel points out that my re-basing work has quite some ripple-through; I
try to chunk my work together and push relatively infrequently, but ...
there is a certain amount of this that is inevitable for the next weeks.

> I must be missing something... I'll appreciate some advise to make
> tail_build compile faster/shorter

	So - on master 'tail_build' is ~almost all of LibreOffice, with
correct[1] dependencies; so it doesn't really get much better than this.
If someone changes a low-level header you can expect a big re-compile
cascade sadly.

	What I suggest you do is to have a 'push tree', so you work on one
tree, and test your patches there - and commit them there, and do:

	git format-patch -1
	(cd ../push_tree ; git am) < 0001-foo-baa.patch

	And then git pull -r ; git push in the 'push tree' - which is just a
simple git checkout with no build next to it.

	That then avoids the need to do a full re-build in your current tree
(it also makes it cheaper to swap branch and cherry-pick across branches
etc.).

	HTH,

		Michael.

[1] - hopefully correct anyhow ;-)