What is bibisect? And what is it doing in my office?

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Sat Jul 7 05:43:48 PDT 2012

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 06, 2012 at 03:13:52PM -0400, Robinson Tryon wrote:

> Hmm. The buildbots are spread out in different locations, right? It
> seems like the simplest thing would be to push the zipped install up
> to the remote (source) server with something fault-tolerant like
> rsync, compare a sha1 to make sure it got transfered properly, then
> unzip and commit the files to the bibisect repo for that buildbot.
> That would eliminate the need for each buildbot to have a local copy
> of the bibisect repo.

If you commit to a local bibisect repo, and then push to a central one:
- you dont need sha1/rsync whatever because git itself makes sure your data
  gets transmitted correctly
- you will save bandwidth as the delta between too installs is much smaller
  than a full install. And git stores the zipped delta.

No need to reinvent the wheel: Using git for transmission and compreesion is
already likely a lot better than any custom tooling anyway.

Best,

Bjoern