big Deps ...

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Wed Jun 20 09:28:32 PDT 2012

On 06/20/2012 05:15 PM, Michael Meeks wrote:
> 	if a .idl file is changed is there any circumstance where the .hpp
> and .hdl will not both be updated in lock-step.

IIRC, the logic of cppumaker is to first generate temporary .hpp and
.hdl files and only copy them over existing ones in solver if they are
actually different.  That way, it should easily happen that a .hdl file
is updated while the corresponding .hpp file is not.  (For example, when
a method is added to an interface and cppumaker is not running in
"comprehensive type information" mode; or when a bug in cppumaker is
fixed affecting .hdl but not .hpp output).

> 	Also - do all IDL generated .hpp deps ultimately include all the .hdl

Each .hpp file includes the corresponding .hdl file (if any), yes.

> files as well ? ie. we could simply elide \.hdl$ from all dependency
> files ? - which might knock 25% off our deps at a very trivial stroke.

That would be unsound (see above).

> 	Then again a small number of files include .hdl files directly; is that
> a bug ? :-)

Looks like a bug, yes.  Care to share the list?

Stephan