Removing C++ SDK examples, clearly encouraging Python extensions (was: LibreOffice prints on tuesdays)

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Wed Apr 3 03:28:07 PDT 2013

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 03, 2013 at 10:50:46AM +0200, Thorsten Behrens wrote:
> Bjoern Michaelsen wrote:
> > As for IDEs: Actually I dont think that many Python stuff is done in
> > a IDE -- most is simply written in an editor.
> >
> I think you are wrong, at least when we're talking about the classic
> 3rd party mostly-closed-classic-development-shop.
>
> It seems to be a real market -
>   http://wiki.python.org/moin/IntegratedDevelopmentEnvironments

There is no dominant IDE (much less so a crossplatform one) and there seems to
be a lot flux on which IDE is the en vouge one each year. Thus aiming to have
simple, stable and robust build environment that is generic and independant is
key -- whatever is the IDE du jour should be able to integrate that easily.

> > Instead of caring about a zoo of IDEs or enterprisy deployment
> > tools, what is needed is:
> > a/ well maintained examples
> > b/ some tutorials and youtube vidoes showing how simple it is
> >
> False dichotomy - you'd want to appeal both to the casual hacker that
> wants the quick solution, _and_ the enterprise...

The second follows the first, not the other way around. Thus aim for the first
to get the second.

Best,

Bjoern