gerrit-buildbot master builds

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 11:04:56 PDT 2013

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 7:05 AM, Bjoern Michaelsen
<bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> so, I finally downloaded the the gerrit-buildbot plugin source and had a look
> at the code. I wonder if we could make it to do the following:
>
> - allow scheduling building a generic sha1, not just changes for review
> - somehow store the results of such builds
>
> That would allow us to get rid of annoying 'the builders have to serve both
> tinderbox.libreoffice.org and the gerrit-buildbot at the same time' and make
> the buildbot schedule queue in control alone.
>
> A suggested solution would be:
>
> - make eat 'buildbot schedule -p core nochange:56a52889e65a17e324fc10cf341690385f5a9dd9'
> - make buildbot store the result reported by a 'buildbot put' (last 1000
>   results or so would be fine)
> - and make it parseable in 'buildbot show'
>
> - e.g. have a cronjob (outside of both the buildbot plugin and the tinbuild2
>   script) that, if nothing is scheduled, schedules the latest master without
>   having this logic in the buildbot or in the tinderbox

1/ I have been working on a new script that can monitor both in the
same instance... no cron job required
iow do tinderbox and/or gerrit build as needed, in one script instance

2/ you cannot get buildbot dispatch tinderbox build... each tinderbox
keep track of where it is and what it has done.
that allow non-registered tinderbox and a better control of the
tinderbox by the operator. so for tinderbuild the 'sever' side is
merely collecting result, not distribution task to do.

I think that what you describe is a jenkins problem not a gerrit buildbot.
we just would use the gerrit buildbot to forward the result to jenkins
to re-use gerrit authentication and ACL control

Norbert