gerrit-buildbot master builds

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Mon Mar 25 13:45:41 PDT 2013

Hi,
On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 01:04:56PM -0500, Norbert Thiebaud wrote:
> 1/ I have been working on a new script that can monitor both in the
> same instance...
> iow do tinderbox and/or gerrit build as needed, in one script instance

Yes, but I want to get rid of the legacy 'tinderbox builds' as much as
possible, so I want all builds be scheduled through the queue with the builder
being ignorant what kind of build he does. Make the client as dumb as possible.

> no cron job required

I see the cron job as a feature, not a bug. The tb client should be as dump as
possible, thus ideally should only get a tree to build and then go for it. So
the logic for this needs to be in the scheduler -- except that David had qualms
to add such domain specific stuff to the scheduler and I kinda agree. So a
cronjob watching and feeding the queue might be a Good in the "do one thing and
do it well"-category.

> 2/ you cannot get buildbot dispatch tinderbox build... each tinderbox
> keep track of where it is and what it has done.

If a bot is 'qualified' to represent a platform on gerrit-buildbot,
gerrit-buildbot should be allowed to track the state for it (and send the
status mails for it) as it is inherently trusted to be a valid representation
of that platform. It makes no sense to tread gentoo Linux and Fedora Linux as
different on tb but the same on patch verification.

> that allow non-registered tinderbox and a better control of the
> tinderbox by the operator. so for tinderbuild the 'sever' side is
> merely collecting result, not distribution task to do.

I dont consider non-registered tinderboxes in this at all -- we might or might
not find a migration path for them later -- but for now I only focus on the
registered boxes.

Best,

Bjoern