Running unit test by make <module>

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at libreoffice.org
Sun Nov 12 20:03:54 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Sun, Nov 12, 2017 at 07:00:33PM +0100, Zolnai Tamás wrote:
> Independently from the actual question, which is still unanswered,

If the question is "why do we have this status quo?" the answer is "because it
is result of some dozen discussions between developers (mostly on the ESC).".
~Every argument has already been made and I assume most are also preserved for
eternity in the ESC minutes.

> it's always a pleasure to see how "old" developers - living in a symbiosis
> with the code - are worrying about the status quo.

If you assume the status quo to be my personal best preference, I can assure you
that is not the case. If you would dig through the six years of debate on ESC,
you will even find that I was supporting tests to only be run on "make check"
(to be consistent with autotools). That was not going to be due to this thing
called "compromise".

Im just warning that this is a bikeshedding topic that we already had an
expensive compromise on -- and reopening this will at best require updating
lots of docs and will at worst open yet another longwinded discussion --
for little gain.

Best,

Bjoern