Speeding up CI builds? (Re: ESC meeting minutes: 2020-01-23)

Luboš Luňák l.lunak at collabora.com
Thu Jan 30 13:45:21 UTC 2020

On Thursday 30 of January 2020, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> On 30/01/2020 13:01, Luboš Luňák wrote:
> > On Thursday 30 of January 2020, Noel Grandin wrote:
> >> Noting that Apple ships a modified version of Clang (ie. it's a branch
> >> not a tag), so that might be a little trickier than expected.
> >
> >   Yes, I know, that's why I explicitly mentioned that. But LLVM offers
> > Clang download for Mac too, so possibly(?) this could be handled by
> > downloading the same Clang version for both Mac and Linux.
>
> Then again, CI builds would ideally use a baseline toolchain.

 True, but the Apple baseline toolchain cannot work on Linux, so this wouldn't
work with any kind of cross-compiling.

 Given that we still have tinderbox Mac builds, I think a practical solution
could be upstream Clang builds for CI and tinderbox Apple Clang builds to
catch the differences (which should be hopefully rare if the used upstream
Clang is close enough to Apple Clang).

--
 Luboš Luňák
 l.lunak at collabora.com