Fields for Zotero

Phillips Rogfield thebudget72 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 10:49:58 UTC 2022

Hi Michael,

thanks for your answer.

 1.

    My current understanding is that the proposed
    |com.sun.star.text.TextField.Bibliography| is the implementation for
    “Insert -> Table of Contents and Index -> Bibliography Entry” of
    LibreOffice Writer.
    Is that right?
    If it is, then it would mean that LibreOffice would manage the
    citation process (insert citations and bibliography). Right?
    We don’t want that. We want Zotero to manage it instead. We want
    Zotero to tell LibreOffice what an inline citation looks like and
    what a bibliography looks like.
    The alternative would be to import the Zotero database in
    LibreOffice, and then tell LibreOffice what the correct citation
    style is, and keep the database updated when the Zotero database
    changes, and keep the citation style updated when it changes.
    That looks too cumbersome.
    But maybe I’m failing to understand the process, I have no
    experience with LibreOffice citation management. I have always used
    Zotero.

 2.

        the other option is, you could insert this with arbitrary
        content via the Fieldmark service, and since about version 7.3
        this kind of works in the document model and can be stored as an
        ODF extension in addition to DOCX/RTF.

That sounds good, but the Fieldmark seems to lack documentation?

    however there is currently no implementation of /expanding/ the
    fieldmark, that is, there is no code to evaluate the fieldmark
    command and overwrite the fieldmark result.

I have no idea what that means.
I’m sorry for my lack of knowledge.
Does it mean that we can’t, from a LibreOffice Writer Java extension,
retrieve the code of the fieldmark and tell LibreOffice what it should
print instead of the code?
If so, on one hand it is exactly what we need, on the other hand it
seems it is already working?
LibreOffice already shows the correct text, not the code.
I believe it shows the text in the tag |w:fldChar|, not the one in the
tag |w:instrTex| (which contains the code).
Is that correct?

I hereby attach a document with a Zotero inline citation in the
Microsoft Word “Fields” format, for reference. We can take it as a
reference implementation.

Best.

​