Overview of variable naming conventions

Luboš Luňák l.lunak at collabora.com
Sat Feb 26 17:48:40 UTC 2022

On Saturday 26 of February 2022, Jan Rheinlc3a4nder wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there somewhere a key to naming variables? For example, I see
>
> OUString msDocAccTitle
> DocumentType    meDocType
> std::unique_ptr<IGrammarContact> mpGrammarContact
> const OUString& rBuffer
> SmFormat            maFormat
> OUString            maAccText
> bool                mbFormulaArranged
> sal_uInt16          mnSmSyntaxVersion
>
> So there is "ms" maybe meaning "member string"? "mb": "member bool"? But
> "ma" and "me" ?

 It's called Hungarian notation
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_notation). It's one of the obsolete
obnoxious things LibreOffice inherited from OpenOffice that keeps going on
because of inertia.

 'm' is member, 'r' is reference, 'p' is pointer, 'x' is UNO reference, 'a' is
array (or string), 's' is string, 'e' is enum, 'n' is number, 'b' is bool. Or
maybe not, since in a number of variables it's wrong.

 I personally consider 'm' to be the only one useful and the rest is garbage
that gets in the way and can be ignored.

--
 Luboš Luňák
 l.lunak at collabora.com