Overview of variable naming conventions

Mike Kaganski mikekaganski at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 26 19:29:10 UTC 2022

On 26.02.2022 20:48, Luboš Luňák wrote:
> On Saturday 26 of February 2022, Jan Rheinlc3a4nder wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> is there somewhere a key to naming variables?
>
>   'm' is member, 'r' is reference, 'p' is pointer, 'x' is UNO reference, 'a' is
> array (or string), 's' is string, 'e' is enum, 'n' is number, 'b' is bool. Or
> maybe not, since in a number of variables it's wrong.
>
>   I personally consider 'm' to be the only one useful and the rest is garbage
> that gets in the way and can be ignored.

I also consider 'm' useful; but also I consider 'x' highly useful when
used properly (i.e., only for UNO interfaces, making it easy to se which
methodology of handling is for them), and also 'p' (for pointers), 'o'
(newly introduced for optionals), and 'r' for references. This
information is very handy at a glance, since you can tell if changing an
'r' is expected to have effects elsewhere, and if some 'oString' is a
string or just "maybe a string".

--
Best regards,
Mike Kaganski