About removing Beanshell/Javascript (Rhino) ?

Tomaž Vajngerl quikee at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 06:49:57 UTC 2022

Hi,

On Sun, Jan 23, 2022 at 9:57 AM Tomaž Vajngerl <quikee at gmail.com> wrote:

> Probably it is better to invest into integrating a WebAssembly runtime
> like Wasmer. Not only would we get JS but also support for a bunch of other
> languages and have support for a platform independent binary execution
> format.

Just a quick update regarding this, following the IRC conversation:
I noticed that wasm doesn't actually support compiling to JS, so we can't
actually use Wasmer or other runtimes to use as an alternative. There are a
bunch of JS or TypeScript subset languages that are supported or
alternatively use QuickJS or JavaScriptCore compiled into wasm and use that
to interpret (which could serve as a temporary solution). I still think it
would be an interesting idea to support wasm as it would solve some issues
for us like having a platform independent binary execution format for
extensions and support for Rust, Go, Swift, C#,.. We could probably even
standardize on it in the future, but it won't help to solve this problem.

Regards, Tomaž