Attention Windows developers: do not upgrade Cygwin to version 3.5.0

Andras Timar timar74 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 15:08:01 UTC 2024

On Tue, Feb 6, 2024 at 1:03 PM Andras Timar <timar74 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Ilmari,
>
> Thanks for the info. Although I have Cygwin 3.4.10, I still have a problem
> with building help.
> assertion "bc_ctl.arg_max >= LINE_MAX" failed: file
> "/mnt/c/Users/bwi/src/cygwin/findutils/findutils-4.9.0-1.x86_64/src/findutils-4.9.0/xargs/xargs.c",
> line 511, function: main
> Has anyone seen this?
>
> Thanks,
> Andras

Let me reply to myself, maybe it will be useful for someone. I use Windows
Server 2022. I tried all variations of Cygwin and findutil versions. I even
moved xargs.exe from a known working setup. The error was always the same
as above. Finally I built xargs from source and added debug fprintf. When
xargs was invoked from the command line, bc_ctl.arg_max was  24025, when it
was invoked from the build it was 1428 and assertion failed. I did not find
a reason for this behaviour. I removed the assert from the code, and the
build of LibreOffice help succeeded with this modified xargs.exe.

Regards,
Andras