[LightDM] hotplug problems and questions

Robert Ancell robert.ancell at gmail.com
Sun Jul 7 15:55:35 PDT 2013

Hi Martin,

LightDM is not involved in monitor detection / setup so it seems likely the
problem is with your X server and/or the greeter you are using.

Specifically what happens is:
1. LightDM starts an X server
2. When the X server is ready, LightDM starts a greeter

The greeter listens for XRANDR events (if it is capable, unity-greeter is,
I'm not sure about the other ones) and reconfigures the monitors
appropriately. The greeter resizes / changes layout to match the monitors
(again, depends on greeter). This is the same behaviour as inside any X
session (e.g GNOME, KDE).

If the session (greeter or user session) does not configure the monitors
using XRANDR X has a default behaviour which I believe is to mirror the
displays. However, some distributions patch this to be span by default.

You can check in /var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log to see how LightDM is
starting the X server and /var/log/lightdm/x-0.log to see what the X server
is reporting.

--Robert