[LightDM] Launch remote session from greeter without password

Robert Ancell robert.ancell at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 20:39:21 PDT 2014

Hi Thierry,

Disclaimer: I didn't work on the freerdp module but here is some general
information on remote sessions.

Remote session work by LightDM starting a guest session and then
authenticating using the X-LightDM-PAM-Service module in the XSession file
(i.e. /usr/share/xsessions/freerdp.desktop). It's up to the PAM
configuration for this service to do the authentication. The intention is
that this will do some remote authentication to the server you are trying
to log into. Once authentication is complete LightDM runs the Exec command
(which is assumed to run some sort of remote session viewer).

I'm not sure how the freerdp module works, but you should be able to
configure or modify it to require no authentication (if your server doesn't
need it or renders an authentication screen) or prompt for a remote
username/password.

--Robert