[Mesa-dev] Merge floating to master

Lucas Stach dev at lynxeye.de
Tue Mar 1 23:22:31 PST 2011

Hello all,

I want to bring up a an issue discussed some time ago. The support for
floating point textures and rendertargets currently lives in a branch
maintained by Marek Olšák. It's nice to see Marek rebases this branch
from time to time, to bring it up to date, but I don't think this should
be a permanent state.

We need to discuss how we want to deal with patented features. I doubt
floating point support will be the last patented feature in the OpenGL
evolution.

I think the best way to go is to merge floating to master but only
expose the extensions in question if the user specifies something like
--enable-patented at compile time. From a lawyers sight it shouldn't
make a difference since currently the code for patented features like
s3tc and floating point support is laying around on the same public git
servers as mesa.

Merging this code into master should make it easier to maintain and I
see no legal problem if we let it up to the user whether to use this
code or compile his mesa without any patented features.

--Lucas