[Mesa-dev] GSoC : OpenCL over Gallium3D

Christoph Bumiller e0425955 at student.tuwien.ac.at
Sat Mar 26 15:41:25 PDT 2011

On 26.03.2011 21:52, Denis Steckelmacher wrote:
> Hello,
>
> After some messages on this list, I reconsidered my GSoC proposal and decided
> to give a try at an OpenCL state tracker. I will base my work on the Clover
> branch of Mesa.
>
> I read its code, which is very well-done and clean, but I saw one big
> difficulty : I don't know how to translate LLVM IR to TGSI. The big problem is
> that TGSI is made mostly with OpenGL in mind. We can use it to decode video
> frames using vertex and fragment shader stages, but using it to run on the GPU
> the complex output given by LLVM, and without using any part of the OpenGL
> pipeline (OpenCL can be used to do mathematics, and that doesn't draw anything
> on the screen), is tricky.
>
> The problem is how OpenCL can upload data on the GPU and then download the
> computed results. One solution may be to create one or more textures
> containing the input data (maybe one texture by input data type), and then use
Gallium has pipe_resource.
You'd create them for device memory allocations and hand them (or their
addresses) to the compute program (not a shader) which would write to /
load from a global memory location lying within such a resource (or you
might say write to the resource).
Then you just map it to read stuff out if you need to.