[Mesa-dev] Fixed function fragment shader to GLSL

Jakob Bornecrantz jakob at vmware.com
Tue Oct 18 11:39:16 PDT 2011

----- Original Message -----
> Here's this patch series again, part of the kill-Mesa-IR goal we have
> for next release.  It's been no regressions for me for a while, I was
> just trying to track down a 2% performance regression on gen6.  It
> turns out that on my gen4 system, it's no performance regression, and
> on gen7 (at least according to testing with the followon patches to
> use the new coegen), it's a ~4% performance win.
>
> While many things were learned in the process, the cause of the 2%
> loss appears to come down to some GPU instruction pipelining issue
> with lots of handwaving on my part.  When using the new backend, we
> generate like 1/3 fewer instructions (after accounting for the 8/16
> compile).
>
> I'm not including the patches for using the new backend quite yet, as
> there's a functional regression on gm45 in the new backend that I
> need to track down first.

Hi, I know I told you to wait till Monday but I didn't get around to
take a look at the changes, sorry about that, tho I would have
appreciated that you at least pinged me before you pushed the changes.

While you say tested the changes I assume you didn't test any Gallium
driver (which you probably should since the only real driver in use
today that isn't Gallium is i965).

I'm also assuming this patch series will have the previous set of
regressions as I outlined the last time this was up for discussion.

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.mesa3d.devel/24837

Also I would appreciated these kind of change the whole world changes
to have a larger Acked-by/Reviewed-by base the just one other guy
using the same test set as the author.

Would it be possible to do the same resolution as before until we can
actually discuss this change.

Cheers, Jakob.