[Mesa-dev] Four questions about DRI1 drivers

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 11:46:17 PST 2012

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 7:25 PM, Connor Behan <connor.behan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/03/12 01:36 AM, Dave Airlie wrote:
>>
>> You can still build r128_dri.so from Mesa 7.11 and it will work with later
>> Mesa libGLs fine. You just can't build it from Mesa 8.0 source anymore.
>
> Really? Even if no one updates r128 to stay compatible with new libGLs and
> no one updating libGL gives a second thought as to whether that update will
> break r128? I thought the whole point of removing DRI1 drivers is that most
> of you are too pressured to keep that promise. If the plan really is to
> update libGL carefully so that DRI1 drivers will always work with it, then
> it seems like their removal does nothing but save a few MB of space on the
> git server.

Thats the plan, some distros have to keep shipping older drivers, but
also want to ship newer drivers.

the libGL -> driver interface is a lot more standard than the internal
mesa<->driver interfaces, and are not the same thing.

Removing the drivers allowed major simplification of mesa internal
interfaces not the GL->driver interface.

It doesn't save any space on the git server since git holds all the
history ever.

Dave.