[Mesa-dev] Mesa install - Doubts..

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 17:45:23 PST 2014

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 9:09 AM, sathishkumar sivagurunathan
<sathish1000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    I am trying to check the graphics card that I have.. From internet
> search, I found the following command lists the graphics card in a system.
>
> 1) sudo lshw -C display; lsb_release -a; uname -a; xrandr
>
> The output of the command is as follows..
>
>   *-display
>        product: RV620/M82 [Mobility Radeon HD 3450/3470]
>        vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
>        physical id: 0
>        bus info: pci at 0000:01:00.0
>        version: 00
>        width: 32 bits
>        clock: 33MHz
>        capabilities: pm pciexpress msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list
> rom
>        configuration: driver=radeon latency=0
>        resources: irq:51 memory:c0000000-cfffffff ioport:2000(size=256)
> memory:bfff0000-bfffffff memory:bff00000-bff1ffff
>   *-display
>        product: Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller
>        vendor: Intel Corporation
>        physical id: 2
>        bus info: pci at 0000:00:02.0
>        version: 07
>        width: 64 bits
>        clock: 33MHz
>        capabilities: msi pm bus_master cap_list rom
>        configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
>        resources: irq:47 memory:fc000000-fc3fffff memory:d0000000-dfffffff
>
> From the listing, I have two controllers listed. Does it mean I have two
> graphics card ??

You have a powerxpress or hybrid laptop that has two GPUs.  Depending
on the vendor there is either a mux to switch between which card is
connected to the displays or the radeon card is only used for
rendering and only the intel card is attached to the displays.  Newer
X servers (1.14 and newer) support rendering with the offscreen gpu.
See this page for more details:
http://xpressrazor.wordpress.com/2013/10/08/enable-and-use-open-source-radeon-drivers-in-a-muxless-hybrid-graphics-intelamd-setup/

> 2) Curently I have Mesa 9.2.1.. I want to upgrade it to the latest 10..
>
>    In the install step, what should be the dri drivers of each of the
> cards..
>
>   Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller = i915
>
>   RV620/M82 [Mobility Radeon HD 3450/3470] = r600 ???
>
>   will these chipsets support the latest Mesa ??

Yes.

> 3) when I run glxinfo, I get the following result..
>
> OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
> OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset
> x86/MMX/SSE2
> OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 9.2.1
> OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20
>
> Does this result mean I have only one gaphic card, the intel based one ?

See my first comment above.

Alex