[Mesa-dev] GBM backend dynamic dispatch method

Nicolai Hähnle nhaehnle at gmail.com
Fri May 13 04:39:12 UTC 2016

On 12.05.2016 20:20, Jammy Zhou wrote:

> <mailto:michel at daenzer.net>>:
>
>     On 12.05.2016 17:58, Yu, Qiang wrote:
>     > Oh, what a crazy idea. So you mean it can work like this?
>     >
>     > 1. use the libgbm/gbm_dri/libEGL/libGLES from mesa which will load
>     > radeonsi_dri.so
>     >
>     > 2. libGL/amdgpu_dri.so from amdgpu-pro
>
>     glamor uses libEGL/GBM and libGL, so this could only work with Mesa's
>     libGL (or the GLVND one in the future). Can amdgpu_dri.so work with
>     Mesa's libGL right now?
>

> I think amdgpu_dri.so is not completely compatible with Mesa's libGL
> (considering some special feature requirements for amdgpu-pro and Mesa's
> evolving). Another problem is that Mesa's libgbm cannot share necessary
> buffer attributes (such as tiling info, etc) with amdgpu_dri.so at this
> moment.

I think the long-term plan for such attributes is passing them via
amdgpu_bo_metadata (which is defined in libdrm's amdgpu.h). This
metadata is read and written directly through libdrm_amdgpu, and so
libgbm doesn't have to be involved as far as I can see.

Or is there some use-case that I'm forgetting where libgbm _does_ need
those attributes?

Cheers,
Nicolai