[Mesa-dev] GBM backend dynamic dispatch method

Jammy Zhou jammy.zhou at gmail.com
Fri May 13 05:22:02 UTC 2016

> On 12.05.2016 20:20, Jammy Zhou wrote:

>> <mailto:michel at daenzer.net>>:
>>
>>     On 12.05.2016 17:58, Yu, Qiang wrote:
>>     > Oh, what a crazy idea. So you mean it can work like this?
>>     >
>>     > 1. use the libgbm/gbm_dri/libEGL/libGLES from mesa which will load
>>     > radeonsi_dri.so
>>     >
>>     > 2. libGL/amdgpu_dri.so from amdgpu-pro
>>
>>     glamor uses libEGL/GBM and libGL, so this could only work with Mesa's
>>     libGL (or the GLVND one in the future). Can amdgpu_dri.so work with
>>     Mesa's libGL right now?
>>

>> I think amdgpu_dri.so is not completely compatible with Mesa's libGL
>> (considering some special feature requirements for amdgpu-pro and Mesa's
>> evolving). Another problem is that Mesa's libgbm cannot share necessary
>> buffer attributes (such as tiling info, etc) with amdgpu_dri.so at this
>> moment.
>>

> I think the long-term plan for such attributes is passing them via
> amdgpu_bo_metadata (which is defined in libdrm's amdgpu.h). This metadata
> is read and written directly through libdrm_amdgpu, and so libgbm doesn't
> have to be involved as far as I can see.

Yes, amdgpu_bo_metadata is exactly one good place for such kind of
information. But IMHO there are still several things to take care. Did I
miss something?
- Same meta data definition ("umd_metadata" field) should be used by
radeonsi and amdgpu-pro.
- We need some way to translate gbm_bo or EGLImage into amdgpu_bo, so that
libdrm_amdgpu interfaces can be used.

Regards,
Jammy