NDISDUP+wwan for Huawei devices using the new 'huawei_cdc_ncm' driver

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at lanedo.com
Wed Nov 20 10:04:33 PST 2013

Hey everyone!

The new 'huawei_cdc_ncm' driver in the kernel written by Enrico and
Bjørn allows several Huawei devices to use the wwan port along with
NDISDUP being called in the /dev/cdc-wdm AT-capable port that the new
driver exposes.

I've hacked a ModemManager branch in the past weeks to implement this,
available in upstream git:

    "aleksander/ports-refactor"

The branch implements some refactoring in the port objects implemented
in MM, and the last patches end up allowing both grabbing AT-capable
cdc-wdm ports, and using these for NDISDUP.

I've also merged a patch from Graham which got lost in my email, sorry
for that :)

Turns out that the Vodafone-branded Huawei K3772 that I have exposes one
of those cdc-wdm AT ports when using the new driver, and I can now
successfully use the wwan port in that device, instead of a PPP connection.

Comments and tests with the branch are very welcome :)

Cheers!