QMI IPv6 crashes

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Tue Apr 22 14:16:23 PDT 2014

Dan Williams <dcbw at redhat.com> writes:
> On Tue, 2014-04-22 at 18:35 +0200, Bjørn Mork wrote:
>
>> Anyway, getting back to topic.  I am not quite sure exactly what to
>> test, as usual. Tried to get some info from the MC7710 first:
>
> Basically, test the dcbw/icera-ipv6 branch of ModemManager, possibly
> with the dcbw/wwan-ipv6 branch of NetworkManager.
>
> The modems I have never crash just retrieving the settings, but seem to
> crash when an address is configured on them and something starts to send
> traffic (like the kernel ndisc code).

Then I do not have this problem on my MC7710.  I can configure and use
addresses out of the assigned /64 prefix without any crashes. At least I
can right now.  But we've seen firmware bugs depend on unknown factors
(timing?)  before, so I guess I should keep my fingers crossed.

> Was this an IPv4v6 context?  Or just an IPv6 one?  I think I was mostly
> testing with IPv4v6 to check out dual-stack since that seems to be the
> normal use-case for providers here in the US (T-Mobile, Verizon, etc).

Just IPv6. I cannot test IPv4v6 at the moment.

> It shouldn't matter either way, though I've been doing testing with NM,
> which does all the IPv6 addressing in userland.  However, I tested both
> static and RA/RS, and both appeared to crash.  My theory based on the
> 7750 backtrace info was that after adding an address, something sending
> a neighbor discovery packets crashes the kernel.  I'll do some more
> testing and report.

I'll continue testing without NM for now, then.  Less complicated for
simple minds.

Bjørn