problems with huawei E3372 alias Telekom Speedstick V

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Sep 4 07:20:49 PDT 2014

On Wed, 2014-09-03 at 21:40 +0200, Thomas Schäfer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I made some tests again.
>
> First of all I noticed, windows uses the "normal" at-channel, without ncm-
> Header. So I tried it again with /dev/ttyUSB0 instead of cdc-wdm.
>
> I found also the explanation why my first test with kernel 3.11/modemmanager
> has failed. mmcli did claim to be connected, but mm has tried to dial
> *99#...for ppp-mode  instead of ndisdup. The LED of the device did not lie.

MM will use PPP mode if one of the following is true: (1) it cannot find
a paired network port, (2) the plugin doesn't know how to handle a
network port, or (3) the Huawei modem is not tagged for NDISDUP
capabilitiy.  So not entirely unexpected.  The problem with NDISDUP is
that it apparently isn't supported by all modems that respond to the
command, plus sometimes the command must be sent on a different
interface (wdm) depending on the chipset used (Qualcomm vs. HiLink), and
some other stuff.  At least that's what we think we know at the moment,
we couldn't get a great answer out of Huawei about it.

Dan