Help with telit udev rule please

Tony tony.makkiel at daqri.com
Fri Nov 20 07:09:51 PST 2015

On 18/11/15 18:54, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-11-18 at 18:07 +0000, Tony wrote:
>> Hi All,
>> 	I am trying to find out why my Telit LN930 modem wont register
>> Network. I noticed it is using the generic plugin while it should be
>> using telit plugin. From the udev rule for telit, I noticed the
>> vendor
>> id for my device is 8087(Intel) instead of 1bc7(Telit).
>>
>> I thought of updating the udev rules. But there are some fields which
>> don't understand. How do I find/set the USBIFNUM for
>> ID_MM_TELIT_PORT_TYPE_MODEM, ID_MM_TELIT_PORT_TYPE_NMEA and
>> ID_MM_TELIT_PORT_TYPE_AUX?
>>
>> The lsusb output is similar to that of
>> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libmbim-devel/2014-November/000
>> 444.html
>>
>> But not sure how to generate the rules. Can somebody please what are
>> the
>> corresponding values from lsusb?
>
> The rules are tagging specific USB interfaces of the modem with their
> function, which often depends on the modem's firmware.  So we can't
> tell you exactly what each port should be tagged as without knowing
> what the firmware things they are used for.
>
> The LN930 M.2 Hardware User Guide says that for Linux/ChromeOs up to 3
> CDC-ACM interfaces and 4 CDC-NCM interfaces are provided.  Section
> 6.4.3 says:
>
> "The default configuration is 3 CDC-ACM channels for control and trace
> and 4 CDC–
> NCM channels for data connections. A specific configuration is set via
> the AT+XSIO
> command. The detailed usage of the default configuration is:
> • 1st ACM channel:: Modem Control Channel, Channel ID: USBCDC/0
> • 2nd ACM channel:: Trace data, Channel ID: USBCDC/1
> • 3rd ACM channel:: free, Channel ID: USBCDC/2
> • 1st - 4th NCM channel: data channel for PDN connection: Channel ID:
> USBHS/NCM/0-3"
>
> So depending on your lsusb output, the first CDC-ACM interface (USB
> interface 2 from the link you pasted) would be the PORT_TYPE_MODEM port
> and others would be unused.
>
> Dan

Thank you for the information. What are the other interfaces on
Interface number 0. It has 2 Interfaces 5(CDC NCM/MBIM (NCM)) and 7 (CDC
NCM/MBIM (MBIM)). Is it a configuration interface?

In the udev rules, from name "ID_MM_TELIT_PORT_TYPE_NMEA", I assume it
is meant for GPS interface. What is "ID_MM_TELIT_PORT_TYPE_AUX"? Is it
audio interface? I assume being data-card both of those are irrelevant
for LN930 as you suggested.

Many Thanks,
Tony