Help with telit udev rule please

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Wed Nov 18 10:54:42 PST 2015

On Wed, 2015-11-18 at 18:07 +0000, Tony wrote:
> Hi All,
> 	I am trying to find out why my Telit LN930 modem wont register
> Network. I noticed it is using the generic plugin while it should be
> using telit plugin. From the udev rule for telit, I noticed the
> vendor
> id for my device is 8087(Intel) instead of 1bc7(Telit).
>
> I thought of updating the udev rules. But there are some fields which
> don't understand. How do I find/set the USBIFNUM for
> ID_MM_TELIT_PORT_TYPE_MODEM, ID_MM_TELIT_PORT_TYPE_NMEA and
> ID_MM_TELIT_PORT_TYPE_AUX?
>
> The lsusb output is similar to that of
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libmbim-devel/2014-November/000
> 444.html
>
> But not sure how to generate the rules. Can somebody please what are
> the
> corresponding values from lsusb?

The rules are tagging specific USB interfaces of the modem with their
function, which often depends on the modem's firmware.  So we can't
tell you exactly what each port should be tagged as without knowing
what the firmware things they are used for.

The LN930 M.2 Hardware User Guide says that for Linux/ChromeOs up to 3
CDC-ACM interfaces and 4 CDC-NCM interfaces are provided.  Section
6.4.3 says:

"The default configuration is 3 CDC-ACM channels for control and trace
and 4 CDC–
NCM channels for data connections. A specific configuration is set via
the AT+XSIO
command. The detailed usage of the default configuration is:
• 1st ACM channel:: Modem Control Channel, Channel ID: USBCDC/0
• 2nd ACM channel:: Trace data, Channel ID: USBCDC/1
• 3rd ACM channel:: free, Channel ID: USBCDC/2
• 1st - 4th NCM channel: data channel for PDN connection: Channel ID:
USBHS/NCM/0-3"

So depending on your lsusb output, the first CDC-ACM interface (USB
interface 2 from the link you pasted) would be the PORT_TYPE_MODEM port
and others would be unused.

Dan