[Nice] libnice candidate gathering delay?

Youness Alaoui youness.alaoui at collabora.co.uk
Fri May 14 14:27:25 PDT 2010

Tom Kaminski wrote:
> 2010/5/13 Olivier Crête <olivier.crete at collabora.co.uk>:
>> How does your application know that some interfaces are not valid for
>> STUN ? Do you assume that VPN are not publically routed ? In that case,
>> I've seen many valid deployements where the VPN is actually the gateway
>> to the real Internet.
>
> My application has an existing TCP connection to the same server as
> the STUN server.  Whatever interface the TCP connection is using, I
> only want to use that interface to query for STUN responses and ignore
> all others.   I'm pretty sure my VPN interface is also a gateway to
> the internet, but it's likely the firewall on that network is very
> restrictive and blocking UDP (haven't tested, just a guess).
>
> I guess it is possible that the TCP connection is made on an interface
> where STUN fails and another available interface works, but I feel
> that this is not a common scenario.

I guess your solution is a good one (specifying how to use a specific interface,
with STUN or not, or with TURN, etc..). However, I do not want to break the API,
so it would need to be a different function for doing that.
However, I do not have time right now to take care of implementing such a
feature, if you want, you can implement it yourself and I'd gladly merge your
patches into upstream libnice.

Thanks,
Youness.