[Nouveau] Need help getting nouveau drivers working on Fedora 13

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Fri Jun 11 15:47:23 PDT 2010

My desktop computer uses a GeForce FX 5200 card and, when I was using
Fedora 11, the kmod-nvidia drivers (a Fedora-specific repackaging of the
binary blob) worked Just Fine.  Now, even though I've followed all of
the instructions for them, they don't.  In fact, my system won't even
complete booting if they're active.  (I'm posting from a laptop, while
I'm trying to get my desktop up again.)  I've removed all of the nvidia
packages and reinstalled Xorg; no mesa packages installed.  When I try
to log in under X, I can see the desktop, briefly, long enough to see
that my screenlets are loading in the wrong place, then, it's the
infamous White Screen Of Death.  The desktop doesn't just turn white,
it's more like a curtain being drawn down over it, that never comes back
up.  Going to an alternate console and checking .xsession-errors, the
last message that I can understand is from compiz, saying that it can't
find some 8 bit pixmaps.

I'd greatly appreciate any pointers as to what I need to do, other than
replace the video card (Not a pleasant option, because I've no reason to
believe that it's gone bad.) to get my desktop back under control.  If
there's any other info that you need, just ask.