[Nouveau] Need help getting nouveau drivers working on Fedora 13

Younes Manton younes.m at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 17:10:52 PDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 6:47 PM, Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> wrote:
> My desktop computer uses a GeForce FX 5200 card and, when I was using Fedora
> 11, the kmod-nvidia drivers (a Fedora-specific repackaging of the binary
> blob) worked Just Fine.  Now, even though I've followed all of the
> instructions for them, they don't.  In fact, my system won't even complete
> booting if they're active.  (I'm posting from a laptop, while I'm trying to
> get my desktop up again.)  I've removed all of the nvidia packages and
> reinstalled Xorg; no mesa packages installed.  When I try to log in under X,
> I can see the desktop, briefly, long enough to see that my screenlets are
>  The desktop doesn't just turn white, it's more like a curtain being drawn
> down over it, that never comes back up.  Going to an alternate console and
> checking .xsession-errors, the last message that I can understand is from
> compiz, saying that it can't find some 8 bit pixmaps.
>
> I'd greatly appreciate any pointers as to what I need to do, other than
> replace the video card (Not a pleasant option, because I've no reason to
> believe that it's gone bad.) to get my desktop back under control.  If
> there's any other info that you need, just ask.

Hi. When you say you reinstalled Xorg without mesa packages, I'm
assuming you mean that you didn't install the nouveau mesa driver? If
so it sounds like you're trying to run compiz with the software
rasterizer. Not sure if/how that works, last I heard it didn't. Either
way, can you try without compiz? If you still have problems please
attach a kernel log (the output of dmesg) and an Xorg log.