[Nouveau] Dual Head: 2nd monitor "Out of Range"

Elijah Smith durableinnovations at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 11:45:36 PDT 2010

Having issues with Nouveau in Ubuntu 10.4.  I posted on the forums, but the
only help I have gotten had been people telling me to install the Blob
(which is a P.O.S. in my opinion), so I have decided to ask the experts.
 Prior to my HDD failing, I was running Ubuntu 9.10 with Nouveau installed
from the Edgers PPA without any issues.  When I replaced the HDD, I went
ahead and did a clean install of 10.4 and was delighted to find Nouveau as
the default driver... yay!  The only problem is that I seem to have an issue
with dual heads.  I have a pretty new computer (as of January) with a 1GB
Nvidia card that worked nicely with my previous Nouveau installation, so I
know it should work with my setup.  I can get the laptop screen running at
its native 1600x900 without issue.  I can set the external monitor to its
native 1920x1200, but the monitor only displays "Out of Range" when I do
that.  In the Desktop Switcher, it appears as if it recognizes the 2nd
monitor and I can move window onto it, but the monitor just does not display
an image.  The highest resolutions I can set the external monitor to and
still get an image are 1440x900 or a strange 1280x1024.  Not sure what's
wrong here, but I would really like to see my external monitor at its native
resolution.

Thoughts?  I know my way around the GUI pretty well, but I am mostly limited
to copy and paste in command line.  If you give me some command line to
input, I can reply with the output.  Is there something I should try?  Any
help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
-Eli

--