[Nouveau] Dual Head: 2nd monitor "Out of Range"

Younes Manton younes.m at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 10:14:58 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 2:45 PM, Elijah Smith
<durableinnovations at gmail.com> wrote:
> Having issues with Nouveau in Ubuntu 10.4.  I posted on the forums, but the
> only help I have gotten had been people telling me to install the Blob
> (which is a P.O.S. in my opinion), so I have decided to ask the experts.
>  Prior to my HDD failing, I was running Ubuntu 9.10 with Nouveau installed
> from the Edgers PPA without any issues.  When I replaced the HDD, I went
> ahead and did a clean install of 10.4 and was delighted to find Nouveau as
> the default driver... yay!  The only problem is that I seem to have an issue
> with dual heads.  I have a pretty new computer (as of January) with a 1GB
> Nvidia card that worked nicely with my previous Nouveau installation, so I
> know it should work with my setup.  I can get the laptop screen running at
> its native 1600x900 without issue.  I can set the external monitor to its
> native 1920x1200, but the monitor only displays "Out of Range" when I do
> that.  In the Desktop Switcher, it appears as if it recognizes the 2nd
> monitor and I can move window onto it, but the monitor just does not display
> an image.  The highest resolutions I can set the external monitor to and
> still get an image are 1440x900 or a strange 1280x1024.  Not sure what's
> wrong here, but I would really like to see my external monitor at its native
> resolution.
> Thoughts?  I know my way around the GUI pretty well, but I am mostly limited
> to copy and paste in command line.  If you give me some command line to
> input, I can reply with the output.  Is there something I should try?  Any
> help would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks in advance.
> -Eli
>
> --
> Eli Smith
> 540-808-8268
> durableinnovations at gmail.com

Your xorg.conf, Xorg log, and kernel log are a good place to look. Can
you reboot the machine and try to set the 2nd monitor to it's native
res? Once you do that you can grab your kernel log by doing the
following in a terminal:

dmesg >kernel.log

which will result in a file called kernel.log in your home dir.

After that attach kernel.log, /var/log/Xorg.0.log, and
/etc/X11/xorg.conf in your reply. You may not have /etc/X11/xorg.conf,
which is ok.