[Nouveau] OT: compilation

Pekka Paalanen pq at iki.fi
Thu Oct 7 13:34:20 PDT 2010

On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 22:14:19 +0200
Grzesiek Sójka <pld at pfu.pl> wrote:

> I have two problems with the kernel compilation.
>
> 1. I have a small rootfs. It is too small to put all the modules
> there without gzipping it first. So installing it requires lots
> of sweating. That is why I was wondering if there is a (more/less
> easy) way to make the "make modules_install" command gzip the
> modules "on the fly".

Wait, does modprobe support compressed kernel modules? I've
never heard of that. If you really do not want to touch
the partitioning, how about symlinking some directories
elsewhere? Be careful on what is needed to boot, though.

> 2. I modified the sources and after compilation the string
> "g76f6e1f-dirty" was appended to the kernel version. It is a bit
> annoying because of the lack of the space at the rootfs. Is there
> a way to avoid this kind of a version extension??

Yes, it is CONFIG_LOCALVERSION_AUTO as far as I recall, disable that.

--
Pekka Paalanen
http://www.iki.fi/pq/