[Nouveau] nouveau on Linux/sparc64 -- almost!

Patrick Baggett baggett.patrick at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 08:23:40 PST 2011

> Are unaligned accesses actually errors on Sparc or just trapped and
> emulated and therefore slow?

I'm not 100% sure. Architecturally, they are errors on SPARC. Userspace
applications that do unaligned accesses are sent SIGBUS and usually killed.
For a driver, I would imagine that the kernel would catch this trap and
emulate or ignore it rather than go down in a blaze of glory. It should
generally be treated as an error, and every time I've seen the C code that
does it, it is usually straight forward to fix it.

> If you can start X, does that mean fbcon
> works?

I don't really know a whole lot about fbcon in general. I know that I
definitely get fbcon on the ATI chip (fb0), but I haven't really researched
how to get a console going on the NVidia one. I'd be happy to try it and
report results if you give me a bit of direction.

Patrick