[Nouveau] nvidia gt 545 and nouveau

Daniel Wallace daniel.wallace at gatech.edu
Thu Apr 5 01:24:46 PDT 2012

On Thu, Apr 05, 2012 at 08:46:01AM +0200, Maarten Maathuis wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 2:25 AM, Daniel Wallace
> <daniel.wallace at gatech.edu> wrote:
> > I have 2 monitors plugged into the same nvidia card
> > (running nouveau) one can be either DVI-I or VGA(vga right now) and the
> > other is hdmi, right now, I am just trying to get the monitors to not
> > be clones of each other and to be side by side. When i do xrandr
> > --output HDMI-1 --pos 0x0 --output VGA-1 --auto --right-of HDMI-1, the
> > whole screen freezes with the mouse in between the 2 monitors and I
> > can't do anything except kill the power and reboot, Anyone have any
> > ideas where to start, because I have looked for several hours now and I
> > can't find anything that would be causing this issue.
> >
> > What happens when It freezes is the mouse literally gets stuck in
> > between the two screens (half on either screen) and since I am unable
> > to do any commands with the keyboard I can't take a screen shot.  I
> > would really like to be able to use nouveau and xrandr, because I don't
> > really want to use Xinerama with the proprietary drivers because then I
> > am unable to use compositing.
> >
> > Any thoughts and questions would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Daniel Wallace

> What happens if you want to set the framebuffer size to the size of
> your two monitors combined?
>
> 1280x1024+1280x1024 would be:
> xrandr --fb 2560x1024
>
> Afterwards xrandr should say "current 2560x1024" somewhere at the
> beginning of it's output.
>
> I assume your two monitors work in clone, so i i'm wondering if it's
> the framebuffer allocation that causes the problem.
>
> --
> Far away from the primal instinct, the song seems to fade away, the
> river get wider between your thoughts and the things we do and say.

with xrandr --fb 3840x1080 then
xrandr --output HDMI-1 --pos 0x0 --output VGA-1 --right-of HDMI-1

it now shows both screens, and everything looks fine, except for the
fact that the mouse is on the border of both screens, half on both and
I can't move it or have any keyboard actions, just have to reboot the
computer