[Nouveau] nouveaufb handover not working properly from VGA on GTX460 (NVc0)

Omari Stephens xsdg at xsdg.org
Fri Feb 24 16:09:35 PST 2012

Howdy, y'all

I just got a GTX460 and I'm having a bit of trouble getting it running.
  In particular, when I modprobe "nouveau," the display goes black (but
doesn't enter power saving, so there's a signal of some sort).  After
doing some searching, I found
http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/KernelModeSetting

If I unbind the nouveaufb driver, the console starts working again.  If
I re-bind it, it freezes.  Other than the display not showing anything,
the system seems to run properly.  So clearly, this seems like a
handover problem.

Any suggestions for things I should try?  I am using plain VGA right
now, which should work according to the page.

I currently have fbcon and nouveau modularized, but I'm going to try
compiling them in just to see if that helps.  Since this is my main
machine, I'd like to get X working first and foremost, and then I can
tweak things afterward.

--xsdg