[Nouveau] nouveaufb handover not working properly from VGA on GTX460 (NVc0)

Omari Stephens xsdg at xsdg.org
Fri Feb 24 16:17:23 PST 2012

On 02/25/2012 12:09 AM, Omari Stephens wrote:
> Howdy, y'all
>
> I just got a GTX460 and I'm having a bit of trouble getting it running.
> In particular, when I modprobe "nouveau," the display goes black (but
> doesn't enter power saving, so there's a signal of some sort). After
> doing some searching, I found
> http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/KernelModeSetting
>
> If I unbind the nouveaufb driver, the console starts working again. If I
> re-bind it, it freezes. Other than the display not showing anything, the
> system seems to run properly. So clearly, this seems like a handover
> problem.
>
> Any suggestions for things I should try? I am using plain VGA right now,
> which should work according to the page.
>
> I currently have fbcon and nouveau modularized, but I'm going to try
> compiling them in just to see if that helps. Since this is my main
> machine, I'd like to get X working first and foremost, and then I can
> tweak things afterward.

Oops; forgot the kernel message; they are here:
http://codepad.org/tKIxN5H2

The last message is from when I unbinded nouveaufb.  You can see that my
default console is the VGA one.

As a small update, compiling in fbcon doesn't help anything.  I haven't
managed to compile in nouveau yet; there's something in the dependency
chain somewhere that's modularized, and I haven't tracked it down yet.

--xsdg