[Nouveau] nouveau on Linux/sparc64 SunBlade 100

Kieron Gillespie ciaran.gillespie at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 08:52:27 PST 2012

Hello everyone,

Thank you nouveau developers as it seems you may almost of a solution to
my lack of good graphics options for my aging sun system.

I saw here before back in early December of 2011 a most of someone
saying that it seemed that the nouveau drivers almost worked with him
and is Sun Ultra 10. I am someone who is very fond of my Sun systems, I
have two "SunBlade 100"s, and a "Sun Ultra 5". I have always been
annoyed at the lack of good video card options when using these systems.
I would love to have more room on my screen then 1024x768. So when I saw
this post on the list
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/nouveau/2011-November/009619.html
from Patrick**Baggett baggett.patrick at gmail.com
<mailto:nouveau%40lists.freedesktop.org?Subject=Re%3A%20%5BNouveau%5D%20nouveau%20on%20Linux/sparc64%20--%20almost%21&In-Reply-To=%3C4ECC47F8.6020802%40gmail.com%3E>.
I kept my eyes open for some good old PCI Geforce. Well... I have a
Geforce, but it's not that old. I got my hands on a GeForce 8400 GS PCI
and yesterday tried it on Debian Squeeze. Well the module oops. So I
felt the next best thing was to try again with Wheezy, Debian unstable.
I got a little farther down the DRM driver initialization but it still
oopses.

I was wondering if any progress has been made since November. Is there a
ticket for this bug somewhere?

I'd like to try and give a hand with fixing the driver so that it works
with Sparc64 systems. I have experience with the Sparc architecture. I
don't have much experience with debugging drivers. I have a SunBlade
100, Sun Ultra 5, and an x86_64 system to test on.

I've attached the relevant message logs. I'm going to try to learn how
to start building the DRM module from source and start learning what I
can do to fix it. I hope that there are still some people other then me
interested in solving this problem.