[Nouveau] nouveau on Linux/sparc64 SunBlade 100

Patrick Baggett baggett.patrick at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 09:28:12 PST 2012

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 10:52 AM, Kieron Gillespie <
ciaran.gillespie at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Hello everyone,
>
> Thank you nouveau developers as it seems you may almost of a solution to
> my lack of good graphics options for my aging sun system.
>
> Well, to be fair, you could probably use an AMD/ATI based card too...but I
like NVidia cards.

> I saw here before back in early December of 2011 a most of someone saying
> that it seemed that the nouveau drivers almost worked with him and is Sun
> Ultra 10. I am someone who is very fond of my Sun systems, I have two
> "SunBlade 100"s, and a "Sun Ultra 5". I have always been annoyed at the
> lack of good video card options when using these systems. I would love to
> have more room on my screen then 1024x768. So when I saw this post on the
> list
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/nouveau/2011-November/009619.htmlfrom Patrick
> * *Baggett baggett.patrick at gmail.com<nouveau%40lists.freedesktop.org?Subject=Re%3A%20%5BNouveau%5D%20nouveau%20on%20Linux/sparc64%20--%20almost%21&In-Reply-To=%3C4ECC47F8.6020802%40gmail.com%3E>.
> I kept my eyes open for some good old PCI Geforce. Well... I have a
> Geforce, but it's not that old. I got my hands on a GeForce 8400 GS PCI and
> yesterday tried it on Debian Squeeze. Well the module oops. So I felt the
> next best thing was to try again with Wheezy, Debian unstable. I got a
> little farther down the DRM driver initialization but it still oopses.
>
> I was wondering if any progress has been made since November. Is there a
> ticket for this bug somewhere?
>
> Well, I actually ended up getting that GeForce MX 4000 (GF4 family) to
play OpenArena for a while (I sent the message to this list -- it did
eventually freeze, but not 100% sure why) -- so there has been a lot of
progress whether or not it was intentional for SPARC. I'm using
debian-testing (not unstable) "Linux 3.1.0-1-sparc64".