[Nouveau] Nouveau not working on second monitor

rv0987 at aol.com rv0987 at aol.com
Wed Feb 27 11:48:22 PST 2013

Hi,

I have a problem that my nouveau driver does not properly load every time I boot my laptop.

It either:
- defaults to the vesa driver (always if my power cord is plugged into the laptop
- starts nouveau but without the external monitor
- starts nouveau WITH the external monitor (as it should be)

(starting without the monitor attached and then connecting it always fails & crashes X)

How/where can i find any help for this?

Details:
- Ubuntu 12.10.
- card:  VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation G86 [GeForce 8400M GT] (rev a1)
- kernel 3.5.0-25-generic
- X.Org X Server 1.13.0 Release Date: 2012-09-05
- all nv & nvidia drivers are blacklisted
- the problem has grown worse over the last 2 years