[Openfontlibrary] Font File Type and Admins?

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Oct 26 10:32:26 PDT 2006

Please excuse me for piping in the middle about licenses.  I just
learned about this list.

    1. Use the OFL

Requiring the OFL will exclude the vast majority of the freely available
fonts existing today.  Is that really desirable?

The plethora of licenses being used for fonts may not be desirable, but
it is a fact ...

    and public domain (already supported)

FWIW, Debian (at least) is trying to avoid literal "public domain",
because the concept does not exist in some countries (I don't know which
ones).  For a "minimal" free license, they now recommend

Copyright YYYY C. Holder
You may freely use, modify and/or distribute this file.

(I find this state of affairs quite depressing, but again, it is,
apparently, a fact.)

Regards,
Karl