[Openfontlibrary] Font File Type and Admins?

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Thu Oct 26 17:31:26 PDT 2006

On 26/10/06, Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:
> Please excuse me for piping in the middle about licenses.  I just
> learned about this list.

Sorry Karl, I though I'd mentioned it before - I've been trying to
point everyone I've been in contact with to this list as I feel its a
good center point of the free font movement :-)

>     1. Use the OFL
>
> Requiring the OFL will exclude the vast majority of the freely available
> fonts existing today.  Is that really desirable?
> The plethora of licenses being used for fonts may not be desirable, but
> it is a fact ...

But its a changable fact :-)

Part of the OFL work at the moment is towards persuading people
publishing free as in freedom (and even free as in beer) fonts to
convert to or dual license with the OFL.

>     and public domain (already supported)
>
> FWIW, Debian (at least) is trying to avoid literal "public domain",
> because the concept does not exist in some countries (I don't know which
> ones)

USA is one I think.

There's a top post on the linux elitists mailing list about what is
wrong with 'public domain' from someone, I think it *might* be Rick
Moen but I can't be sure off the top of my head. But thats the beef of
the problem, yes.