[Openfontlibrary] Fwd: UKFSN.org Profits Grants

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Sun Oct 29 05:20:18 PST 2006

Hi all,

Thought this might be of interest :-)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com>
Date: 29-Oct-2006 13:18
Subject: Re: [UKFSN Users] UKFSN Profits Grants
To: Jason Clifford <jason at ukfsn.org>

Hi Jason!

On 29/10/06, Jason Clifford <jason at ukfsn.org> wrote:

> Is there nobody on this list who could use a Free Software grant or knows
> somebody who could benefit from this money?

I'm involved in the emerging Free Font Movement, and am looking at
ways to fund its development, so this is awesome news.

The big news is this was recently presented as a keynote to the
premier typeface and typography club www.ATypI.org at its annual
conference by design academic Ellen Lupton -
http://www.designwritingresearch.org/free_fonts.html

It has support from Creative Commons - www.openfontlibrary.org - the
USA Tex Users Group - http://www.tug.org/tc/devfund/grants.html - and
SIL International, who fund one fulltime typeface designer and have
created a free license - http://scripts.sil.org/OFL - specifically for
the needs of typeface developers and the peculiarities of font
software (eg, a GPL font has FSF-acknowledged quirks when embedding in
PDF)

I'm on the UKTUG committee - http://uk.tug.org - and we've created a
£5,000 development fund for TeX related projects. I'll be applying for
some funding from there, but currently need to do more research,
discussion and thinking about what project would be best to pursue.

There seem to be three general categories:

1. Community development: persuading GPL font developers to go OFL,
persuading freeware font developers to go OFL, raising awareness of
free fonts

2. Infrastructure development: better font development tools, better
typeface design documentation, better community web applications for
development of new fonts and cataloging of existing ones

3. Font development: designing new typefaces and developing them as fonts

Is one of them a better fit for UKFSN funds than another?