[Openfontlibrary] Transmogrifying Free Fonts into CA$H

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Tue Oct 31 10:52:54 PST 2006

On 31/10/06, Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org> wrote:

> Dave, please put this great write-up on this onto our wiki here:
> http://openfontlibrary.org/wiki/index.php/Making_Living

I've still not worked out what I think about the bugs in CC [0] and
FDL [1], but I respect what wikipedia has achieved and feel leveraging
wikibooks can be a powerful way for the Free Font Movement to write
Free typeface design documentation [2] which is a key goal for myself.

So the CC license on the OFLB wiki, even though its the copyleft by-sa
one, will prevent cross pollination with wikibooks.

Jon, what do you think about using wikipedia compatible FDL on the wiki?

[0]: "people have a tendency to disregard the differences between the
various Creative Commons licenses, lumping them together as a single
thing. That is as mixed-up as supposing San Francisco and Death Valley
have similar weather because they're both in California. Some Creative
Commons licenses are free licenses; most permit at least noncommercial
verbatim copying. But some, such as the Sampling Licenses and
Developing Countries Licenses, don't even permit that, which makes
them unacceptable to use for any kind of work. All these licenses have
in common is a label, but people regularly mistake that common label
for something substantial. "
- http://www.linuxp2p.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=10771

and

"The main sticking point remains "parallel distribution", which was
part of the previous draft license we reviewed, but which was pulled.
People have some very emotional reactions to DRM, and they tend to
sacrifice developers' and users' freedom in their quest to "Stop
DRM!!!!1!""
- http://evan.prodromou.name/Journal/7_Vend%c3%a9miaire_CCXV

[1]: "the Free *Software* Foundation's non-free-software "Free
Documentation License" is far worse than anything CC have made: it's
an adware-book licence! Even if the original author doesn't activate
the adware clauses, any later modifier can."
http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/fc-uk-discuss/2006-April/000794.html

[2]: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Graphic_Design

> As a person doing 1B (although not cushy ;), I can say that being a
> contributor to Open Source and good at positioning yourself with good
> reputation will most definitel lead to 1 if you want it...

:-)