[Openfontlibrary] clarification...

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Fri Jan 26 18:17:57 PST 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-26 at 22:40 -0100, Gustavo Ferreira wrote:
> hi, it's me again.
>
> i feel i need to make my point-of-view clearer:
>
> i'm not against the open font library, the open font license, the idea of distributing fonts as free-
> software etc. on the opposite, otherwise i wouldn't be here.
>
> but i don't agree with many opinions and strategies expressed here on this list.
>
> there are no type-designers on this list, and as far as i know not even graphic designers. (please
> correct me if i'm wrong!)

Yes, you are wrong about this. I've worked professionally for 14+ years
on both fronts (lesser on fonts). Also, Raph has done tons of font work.
There are also several designers on this list.

> there aren't any discussions about design or typographic issues.

Well, please bring them on? If you want to talk about them, then you
must do this. However, this community is about open font library, the
project, so maybe not the best for font-specific issues, but is great
for developing a large font library. However, it is he/she who speaks
and contributes who sets the agenda...

> the website is poorly designed.

Would you like to help the project? If you can complain, then please,
step up to the plate and provide a better solution. Its the open way...

> most fonts are unusable for any serious graphic design work.

We haven't even launched the project. I put it up in a day to satisfy
people who wanted it, and worked with a few people to get it going. Yet
again, if you would like to make it better, please do so...the door and
tracker are open for your contributions.

> nothing has been said about quality control.

You need some more contributions to be able to pick out quality IMO.
This site is very much stuctured for quality control.

> ...this all makes me very sad, because i really believe in the idea of distributing fonts as free
> software.

> but i also believe you cannot really reach quality without criticism.
>
> i would like to elaborate, but i have other things to do.

Thanks for taking the time to discuss Gustavo, but please, when
criticizing in Open Source (and this project), please be able to back up
your arguments with contributions to fix the problems. If this doesn't
happen, there isn't much use in spending time on the problems, right?

Now, if you would like help fix these issues you see, please help us
out. You can upload your fonts now. You can provide code to fix ccHost
(http://wiki.creativecommons.org/cchost). You can apply for a developer
account through us and join our mailing list (as you have done) to help
us out more.

Jon