[Openfontlibrary] clarification...

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Sat Jan 27 07:59:09 PST 2007

Gustavo Ferreira wrote:

> there are no type-designers on this list, and as far as i know not even graphic designers. (please
> correct me if i'm wrong!)

I've worked as a designer and I did some type design in the early 1990s.
Fuse 94 was fun and the book version of the Type 1 Font Specification
used to be one of my most prized posessions. I've also worked in
prepress, in brand engineering, and as a liason between design and
technology teams for design projects for blue chip clients.

> but i also believe you cannot really reach quality without criticism.

This is true, and high quality both aesthetically and technically should
be the primary goal of this project. I'd be happier with a single
excellent font that is Free than with dozens of badly designed, badly
programmed, badly licensed fonts.

At the moment I think the aim is to create an environment in which
criticism can be acted on. Even a single family of fonts properly done
is a large project. Such a project needs some infrastructure and a good
legal and technical foundation.

- Rob.